Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Racine Report

This is not really a race report, but rather a general explanation about why there is a DNF by my name at Racine 70.3.  I do not say this often, or maybe have never said it, but it was just not my day on Sunday.

We all had our challenges dealing with the race morning weather, changes, cancelled swim, delayed start and modified race distances.  For those that weren't there....There was a major weather front that came through just as the race was meant to start, causing a delay of 3.5 hours.   The swim was completely cancelled and the bike shortened to 31 miles.  The pros had to start in time-trial fashion (one at a time every 30 seconds).

This format doesn't suit me, but I was on board to give it my best shot.  I got out on the bike and quickly realized, as I somewhat predicted, I needed a MUCH longer warm-up before biking hard.  I was just starting to get rolling around mile 10 when my bike started to feel really unstable.  I thought I had a flat and moved to the base bars.  I quickly noticed my aero bars were completely loose and were just about to completely fly off my bike! Yikes...but slightly better than a flat :)  Luckily after only a few min of riding out of aero, the Trek mechanics showed up and we pulled over to fix it.  I was actually thankful for the break, but painfully watched a couple girls ride by knowing I was unlikely to catch them with the way my legs were riding!



Back at it with no excuses but under trained bike legs, I finished the ride feeling ok.  I got out on the run, ready to have a good run despite an embarrassing bike ride. I've been feeling strong running and thought I could run with the top girls (well, a bit behind, but run close to the same time at least).  I felt good for 2.5 miles, settling into a strong pace, but my back started tightening up.  By the turn at 3ish miles my back had completely tightened up and there was no way I could continue running, let alone walk!  I got picked up and got a ride back to my family.  I didn't feel bad or have a hard time deciding to stop, since there was no way at all I could continue!  Anyone that knows me knows that I don't quit on races and pride myself on finishing, especially in tough conditions, so not completing this race is something new and not something I plan on doing again.

I'm lucky to have a great chiropractic team here in Madison (All About Chiropractic) who got me in on Monday for a full exam and x-rays.  Being 3.5 months after baby my body is still changing and I'm kicking myself for being lazy with my back care and massages these last few months.  It certainly caught up to me and there were many things out of whack.  I'm happy to say that I think this will be resolved quickly and we have a great treatment plan.  After some work yesterday I'm already feeling better (and can walk!).

As far as what's next...First off taking care of my body and staying healthy has to return to top priority.  Secondly, get my biking to a place where I can be more competitive....this means making time for more riding (trainer, eek!).

Lastly, thank you to Ironman for putting me on the pro panel for me to represent Timex and new moms out there!






No comments:

Post a Comment